View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Well all...I think my trial of C-J might be coming to an end. Most people probably wouldn't even bother to post this...because I just know I'm going to get beat-up (especially from a certain Vinyl-loving, C-J advocate ); but I love this hobby, and appreciate when people share as an opportunity to learn how others approach it.

Looking back at the comments in this thread, I cringe a bit at the prospect of saying this...because I've had so much enthusiasm for the amp. And that's all true; it's a GREAT amp. I've read reviews...after the fact (I never like to be influenced by them before I make a purchasing decision...if I can help it)...and it gets great pub, and it's all well-deserved.

So...why did I just buy something else to audition? Well, Stephen will tell you he thinks I have audiophile ADHD...lol. Fair enough, but not to the extent that I want to; I just want a system that I love...but that I don't think about, so it can just get out of the way and I'm left to focus on the music. For whatever reason, I keep listening for the mf-2500a, and it's a bit of a "distraction"...good as it is.

Maybe it's just the fact that it's still new-ish...and it's just a matter of time, and I haven't given it that time; to just get used to it, and not be looking for its signature on my music. Maybe that's easier...and sooner...said than done with some amps. I do feel like this amp (I won't lump all of C-J in, based on my one experience) has a signature; has its own sound, rather than being neutral. Now, it's a great sound..."it just sounds right"...lol; but it's still something to be "aware" of, and I'm too aware of it.

You'll never hear me say anything bad about my experience...except to be honest about it, and say what I've said here: that perhaps C-J has its own sound...and it's great, if you take to it. I'm going to go back to my first girl; (David) Belles was the first, really hi-end amp I ever owned...and I fell hard. My 150a Hot-Rod left a little something to be desired...especially as I moved up in speakers; but then again, it is almost 15 years old. So I'm going to try a 150a Reference v2.

I'm not giving up on the mf-2500s sight unseen (hearing unheard?); I'm trying to sell the infamous "extra" one, and that'll still leave me my unit to audition against the new Belles. I just have a feeling my Belles 21a pre (which I have never grown tired of...great unit) will really take to his new sibling.

C-J may very well be in my future. Maybe the newer gear has less of that C-J flavor, and is easier to forget about? And I plan to stay-tuned to the forum. It's a great bunch, and I haven't found them to be excluding of those who don't have C-J; and I sure hope they don't start now...lol.
In this hobby you have to find your own way ultimately. Yours is the only opinion that counts when it comes to spending your money for your musical pleasure. I know some people who are in the component of the month club and never figure that out. I use to go thru a lot of equipment just for the sake of change but I would always come back to CJ, I realized that's the sound I like. I know people who just a passionate about Krell, Audio Research and Mcintosh. I hope the 150a Reference v2 works out for you.