View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Mike,
You have a gorgeous setup! I really like the new matte black MS Maxxum rack. It looks fantastic and I'm sure it has increased the enjoyment of your music. The new Innovation Master turntable and Rogue Apollo monoblocks look pretty sweet as well. Dang, that's a nice rig. Can you tell a lot of difference in the amps?

I know the Canterbury GR sounds amazing. I was out of town last weekend and have been glued to the couch playing one album after another since we got home. I might as well bolt them to the floor. They are here to stay.
Thanks again, Terry!
Every day I'm glad I went for the GR; just wish I'd done it sooner. From what I can gather so far - the Apollo "Dark" amps actually sound very similar to the prior Apollos, which to be fair sounded excellent. We'll see if the sound develops further as they break in. I do love how they look in black!

The rack seems to be helping a good deal with footfalls and maintaining clarity in higher volume listening (of which I'm a big fan). This thing is a BEAST. It always made me nervous to see those big 15" woofers pumping heavily from seismic energy feeding into the turntable, and this is now notably diminished thanks to the CMS rack. Also I can safely LEAN on this rack while making adjustments; the prior stacked tripod rack was a disaster waiting to happen!

With this last round of upgrades, the overall sound has tightened up a degree further. This was a good thing, except that now I was missing some bass. So I switched from ports half open to ports fully open on the Canterbury GR. Voila! Perfect balance again, and yet with tighter, cleaner bass than I had before.

Oh, also I snagged an ARC Ref 6 preamp, in black. That will arrive Thursday, along with my 2nd set of silver AQ Kilimanjaro cables for a double biwire. This is gonna be awesome! BUT I had to promise myself not to buy anything else for a while (totally gonna happen).

Last edited by mulveling; 09-03-2017 at 11:30 PM.