View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 02:46 AM

We own the Pass X600.8 monos and Wilson Alexis 2s and went through a similar process of pinning down a preamp. We started with a McIntosh C2700, a tube preamp. For $7K it was fine, but it left much on the table.

We experimented with the Pass XP-32 solid state and VTL TL6.5 Series II Signature HYBRID SS/tube preamps. We had hoped the XP-32, being a Pass Labs product, would be perfect since it was made by the same manufacturer as our X600.8 monos. You know, “same manufacturer synergy”.

But we found that a SS pre/linestage with SS amps lost too much musicality. The VTL was equally superb, and came closer to the “in the room” presence we were looking for, but felt it was “too safe”—it sounded competent but not as involving as we wanted.

It should be noted that the XP-32 was brand new and NOT burned in at all, but the VTL was fully broken in.

We even tried skipping a preamp and plugging our Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC directly into the amps. While this increased detail and resolution greatly and had an “in your face” quality that provided the raw energy that made 60s and 70s rock tracks come alive as we had never heard before, it completely lacked the musicality and especially COHESIVENESS of the VTL. My wife, who at the time was an Audiophile Agnostic, told me after 5 minutes to pull the interconnects between the streamer and amps or she will burn the house down.

Okay, scratch the direct method.

It was when we inserted an Audio Research Ref 6SE into the line up that the stars aligned. It was the moment my world and my madness made sense to my wife. The second song played was Eva Cassidy’s cover of Christie McVie’s “Songbird”. Fifteen seconds into the track tears began pouring from my wife’s eyes. And the tears streamed for a full 20 seconds as she sat silent—SILENT—overcome with the experience. Count out 20 seconds and imagine tears flowing. It’s a LONG time.

I knew we found our preamp. I also knew she would never be the same in regards to my crazy #$&+$#$ hobby. She was IN. And she became the main driver of our subsequent upgrades.

It has been mentioned here that the new ARC preamps use tubes that should not be rolled. For the most part that is correct. But another way to view this is that non-standard tubes ar snot an improvement for the new ARCs. I dunno. Can’t argue with that.

But I also can not argue with the experience of witnessing my wife literally transformed before my eyes from someone who resented my expensive “preoccupation” into the force behind our audiophile journey.

Just my 2 cents. Okay, maybe it was more like $1.50.