View Single Post
Old 01-27-2022, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=mulveling;1054129]I've gone back & forth between Ref 6 and VAC Master (and Ren V) in my own system. The Ref 6 is a wonderful sounding pre that will give you a little bit of sweetness and tube bloom. Will it be enough tube sweetness? Depends on the rest of your system. The Master is a wonderful pre that will give you more tube sweetness and bloom - a really big helping of it. Will it be too much? Depends on your system. The Ren V sounds very similar to the Master but the latter is clearly more articulate and dynamic. I assume the Signature SE is in between the two. The Master pairs brilliantly well with a SS amp (Phison) or a clean SS-like tube amps (Rogue Apollo Dark). But with the matching VAC 200iQ monos it can actually be "too much of good thing" for tube sweetness - though many will love this pairing, it can be just a bit too much for me, in my system (which also has a VAC phono, Koetsu/Benz cartridges, and Tannoy speakers contributing towards this cumulative "sweetness"). Meanwhile the Ref 6 actually paired beautifully with 200iQ's here.

Thanks for the comparisons and descriptions. This is very helpful. Was your Ref 6 the SE version?

The VAC Master is out of my price range by far, but the Signature SE fits. The rest of my system is on the warm/neutral side, especially the Pass amps and Strads. The Pass XP22 and XP27 seem neutral and the same with my cartridge and TT.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9