View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 01:03 AM
Listener in Training

Default Granite Turntable Plinth - Thoughts?

I've got a remnant of our granite countertop that could be fabricated into pieces that could sit under my Rega P6 turntable its separate power supply unit and my MC275 amp. The granite remnant is 1.125" (~2.85 cm) thick.

The idea would be to have a .25-.5" deep circular recess 1.5" in diameter where each leg would be placed. I could have wooden 'plugs' in each recess so I could screw in legs. While using Stillpoints would be very nice, I'd rather spend my money on Stillpoints (eventually) attached to the components themselves, which are the objects needing isolation.

The intent isn't for the plinths to be functional in terms of adding stability or isolation, but something that would be a cool use of the granite, although I'm introducing something that needs to be leveled (conversely, if the credenza ever sagged, the plinths would be 'level-able' by design).

I've seen a couple uses of granite plinths with big amps sitting on a floor, and would be interested in anyone's thoughts about doing this, either from experience or pitfalls that come to mind.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable