View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldominion View Post
I'm so crazy about the Inspire Universal it's hard to imagine topping it. I have a pair of finicky Altec 604 speakers and I really enjoy being able to throw different things at them with the Inspire's tube rolling capabilities, which I assume the 6FLV has as well. Any other thoughts about the 6FLV vs the Universal would be appreciated.

And now I'm second guessing trading in the 3.1 preamp! I'd like to learn more about the new Inspire preamp too, I suppose. Bearcity, do you use a pre? Thanks.
The 6FLV is optimized for 6F6, 6L6 and 6V6 tubes but it can be run with any beam powered pentode. I have a new model 6V6er which is a 6FLV with a different PT. I like the lower power tubes the best in it but I like the lower power tubes best in all my Inspire amps (Custom Universal, PSE, and 6V6er).

I also have 3 Inspire Preamps. An LP-3a, Lp-27a and a new CJ5. I have bypassed the pre with my 6V6er in that it has a volume control but I have found it fatiguing. My ears seem to like the softer touch that Dennis's preamps offer. Like Florida says they are all very good but the CJ5 is a significant step up from the others. I have heard it head to head with the LP-3.1 as well and my feelings are the same about the CJ5 being superior.