Thread: Loke TAS review
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
It's a nice write-up and a validation of Wilson's engineering behind this sub. If I were to spring for a sub of that expense, I would certainly insist on buying spare amp plates while they are available. Every active sub I've owned has had amp plate failures somewhere along the line, and with the provenence of Loke's amp plate now being known, I would take zero chances with it. JMHO.
Freddie, I would have no reservations regarding the amp. I am sure that Wilson believes it reliable.

I was on my way back home from a trip yesterday when a good friend called. He is about 45 and knows as much about audio as anyone I know. He uses nothing but class D amps. He has two systems, one upstairs and one in the basement. He uses no room treatments. His upstairs system employs 14 channels and full DSP correction. His Revels are used sealed and crossed over to his 4 subs at 90 Hz. He is not interested in anything below 30 Hz. He uses a center channel. He comes over frequently to listen to my system, using mine as a reference for the sound he wishes to achieve. He can switch from multichannel to 2 channel by remote control. His basement system will be more impressive than his upstairs and will use JBL when finally accomplished.

He is very high on class D amps. I think Legacy uses class D amplification. I would have no hesitation at all in using class D amplification for subs. In fact, if I were re-doing my entire system, I would probably go with class D amplification for my Thors' or Subsonics', if I had room for two subs, which I don't.

Today's class D's are competitive with other amplifier classes, IMO.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-01-2022 at 11:29 AM.