View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
So what would happen if the window to wall width was different than 10.5 inches in width and why not the metric system?
Buck, it could mean the artist's layout was inaccurate. This would be moderately serious because she would have to revisit the whole structure to find the mistake. In fact the window did initially look too close to the wall (which is the reason for the pic) but the fix was simple, thankfully. She overlaid the wall you see with an additional wall thickness. Removing it restored the correct width that you see here. So the layout was correct, thankfully. All of us are anxious to see this stage of the Project end.

As to the metric system I can't tell you why the metric system doesn't work as well. Using feet always results in a whole number plus a rational fraction. I haven't tried the metric system. If this structure were ever built on this planet I'm sure the architect would convert the feet to meters. This is an alien object. This is very difficult to believe. Why do inches work better than centimeters? I don't know and maybe they don't. Maybe it just appears this way because the fundamental measuring system may not be either.

The reason I use feet is that I can simply look at a space or structure and immediately know its dimension. I can't convert it in my head to the metric system but using a calculator would easily solve the issue. Take the distance between the rear wall and the entrance: it is exactly 8.75'. The entrance is 1.75' wide and 7' tall. The window sets equidistant between the floor and the ceiling or 2.625'. It is used for light and not for looking through. The entrance you see enters into the library which contains enormous shelf space and 90 cubicles. What would these shelves or books contain? I don't know. I don't have all the answers, just the exact measurements.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-10-2020 at 01:21 PM.