View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 11:27 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I hope through all this controversy that MoFi continues to release great sounding records. They have gone out of business once before, and I’d hate to see it happen again.

I think we collectively need to change our expectations regarding ‘Original Masters’ and MoFi coming clean will help in this regard.

The original master tapes of some of our audiophile DAC’s are over 50 years old. They are deteriorating over time and will continue to do so. The sooner they can be restored and captured to DSD the better.

I think capturing them now in DSD is far superior to creating analog tape copies. I know analog tape is a beloved format, but it has some serious flaws that DSD does not have.
I agree with your 1st statement, but don't think there is any chance of that happening as MoFi is owned by Music Direct and is only about 20% of MD's total revenue. Besides, they have Michael Fremer and several other 'noted' vinylphiles on their side. As long as they do a good job they should be fine. This kerfuffle aside.

Yes, MoFi has responded with a "mia copa" several times and promises to be more transparent in the future.

Not sure what "The original master tapes of some of our audiophile DAC’s are over 50 years old." might be. Indeed, many, if not most of the original master tapes are getting on in years. To say nothing of the many that were burned in the not too distant past. But, don't understand your "audiophile DAC's".

Think MoFi has proved that DSD, done well, provides excellent sound.

BTW - I thought I would purchase a new MoFi so could listen for myself. MD (who owns MoFi) only had six (6) new LPs listed. None were anything I would spend my $$ on.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 08-06-2022 at 07:12 PM.