View Single Post
Old 07-21-2022, 03:27 PM

Peter I thank you and Joe for your compliments so much. I hope my comments on the MC3500 might entice someone to buy a pair. I think they would be amazed. One property of Mac not generally appreciated is that published specifications are minimum specs. Unlike other tube amps that are fortunate to meet their published power specs, Mac gear easily exceed their published specs. A tube amp with no fan that runs cool, exceeds 500 watts continuous, with S/N > 120 dB and damping factor of >25 is unheard of. And the amp to my ears sounds like it. I would enjoy very much observing the pleasure of someone taking the risk and buying a pair.

The glory of the DQ10 didn't last very long because Jon Dalquist was unable IMO to design a successful improved model, though he did design later models. The DQ10 was a wonderful speaker, a one off of a kind. I owned a pair of DQ1W's and his electronic crossover. I could never get it to sound right despite my best efforts. The lowest register of male voice was never right, still an issue with many subs, if you listen carefully. Any sub that alters the male voice is a non starter with me.

So I moved on, but the DQ10 remains one of my very favorite vintage speakers. I had my hi fi in my living room back in that day along with my MC275, C-33, and Luxman direct drive turntable and (I think) Grace Arm and Ruby cartridge?

Best

Charles