View Single Post
Old 04-08-2023, 02:46 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
I once had a discussion with a friend regarding iPhone cameras. At the time it was the iPhone 4 I think. His position was they that were garbage. We went back and forth for a while and I was of the opinion that it was at least decent, but would only get better with each new version. He wouldn’t budge. I finally told him, “Look, an iPhone [camera] is infinitely better than a 35mm SLR if that SLR is at home!” He finally lightened up and agreed. [emoji57]
I used to think that, too, but since the iPhone 12, Apple has really stepped up their game with image quality from the camera system.

Here are some examples:
A RE interior shot handheld as I was moving through the house to set up for a RE twilight shot (I do a fair bit of pro RE work).
Notice how well the iPhone 12 Mini held detail in the view outside the window. Normally, we have to do what is called a "window pull" in Photoshop to pull in detail of the scene outside the window. This involves using flash, shooting multiple frames, and then blending them in a "layer mask" in Photoshop using Darken mode. The iPhone nails it right out of camera. This was taken literally snapping the photo in a matter of seconds while passing through the living room.

Bedroom shot....iPhone 13 Pro Max. Again, no window pull required.

Another bedroom shot...handheld, no tripod. Look at quality of light, tonality and dynamic range (you can see detail outside the window, which is much brighter than the light in the room).

John Muir's study at Muir House...gorgeous light. Shot handheld through the cordon that blocked off entry to the room. iP13 PM.

Studio shot using a Profoto C1 smartphone speedlite iliuminating a soft box...

Also, it does a great job with B&W conversions....

Walking by a house in St. Helena, CA in the Napa Valley...

These phones are now fully capable of producing professional-quality photos.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.