View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 08:50 PM

On Saturday, I received my new arrival, a McIntosh MR80 tuner. Unfortunately, after opening the packing, I quickly realized it was yet another victim of improper packing; not by the seller (who was great thru this whole ordeal), but the pack & ship shop he typically uses. Apparently there was a newbie working that day and clearly didn't know what he was doing. So there it was, the dreaded smashed glass.

Not only does the MR80 have one of the most expensive glass faces to replace (in that size anyway), it's one of the most difficult, or at least tedious to replace due to the design of the capacitive touch buttons. To make a long story short, the seller and I came to equitable terms so I'm keeping the tuner and after encouragement from Vintage Pete, 62Caddy and a few other (thanks guys), I decided I'm going to replace the glass myself. This should be fun.

In any case, the MR80 is recognized to be one of the best tuners McIntosh ever made and I can attest to it, this thing sounds amazing! I'm sure it'll sound even better when I install new glass and upgrade the lamps to LEDs this weekend.