View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 09:48 AM

I currently work in Lausanne about half the year and everything W9TR mentioned is gold, except the wine part (lol ) . I've found the Swiss wine not to my tastes especially any of the reds, it is true however that the towns making the wine keep the best batches for themselves and only sell the rest.

Regarding wine and wine tasting, however, a must do is the walking wine tour in Lavaux/Vevey/Montreux area. Speaking of which. If you end up in Zurich and are returning to the Lausanne area enroute to Geneva don't fall asleep as you're heading back after you pass the Fribourg stop. The train enters a tunnel a few minutes after that stop and you pop out in the dream landscape that is called the "Swiss Rivera". It's a Unesco World Heritage site and you will immediately know why. Sit on the left side of the train for the best view.

The only additional thing I can think of mentioning is that in the "French" part of Switzerland (Suisse Romande) I have found it takes quite a while for the Swiss to warm up to strangers, maybe it was just me but in the beginning I felt very alone there. This was especially true outside of Geneva. Geneva however is not as bad. Zurich and the "German" part of Switzerland is completely different and I've found the people very warm and welcoming. It's quite easy to make new friends there while relaxing in a cafe or local bar.

Lastly, the alps are nice, you're centrally located and are relatively quick train or boat rides to lots of interesting places to visit, Milan, Annecy, Evian, and many more. BUT, i love Bern. It's just such an amazing city with a wonderful river snaking through its downtown.