View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
But ... is there not more than likely a bias that's been introduced into the "testing" here by using all Harmon employees for the test?
I can understand that long time listeners of Revel, or any other brand for that matter, will develop a brand preference based on sonic signatures specific to the physical design properties, and I can freely admit to this myself.

The main problem I have with DBT's is that they're rarely done fully independently. Sure, that shouldn't matter if speakers are assembled in a well designed room and listeners are exposed to musical selections without knowledge of the speaker they're auditioning you might think, but as we're all aware the setup and positioning of speakers is far from an easy task, and getting the best, most neutral performance from a speaker isn't easily achieved without lengths taken to position them relative to room boundaries, experimentation with toe-in and rake adjustments etc, and sometimes even adjustments to room furnishings and acoustic treatments. And as we know, some speakers are far more fussy than others in this respect.

That's not to suggest of course that Revel's DBT's are flawed or deliberately engineered to discriminate in favor of Revel speakers, but at the same time I wouldn't expect that Revel would be going out of their way to fully optimize a competing brand's speaker to their DBT environment.