View Single Post
Old 03-27-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
It’s been awhile since I last checked, but I would look for something like an Otari MX 5050BII, Revox B77mkII, or Technics RS-1520. There may be others I’m not familiar with. They are newer decks (bit still over 30 years old) and are available with 2 Track playback heads and 15 ips. You will find prices vary from $5000 to $15000 for fully refurbished decks, depending on the extent of the work and desirability of the deck Heads should be new or lapped, all belts and idlers replaced, repro electronics refreshed or replaced with new, etc.
Yep. Pretty much covers it. Sorry OP, it's just an expensive game to jump in to. Try JCorder he may have a refirb'd base model Technics in the 5-7K range.

If you go the eBay route, a Tascam BR-20 is a great deck. Superb tape handler. I got mine for a grand 12 years ago. If you can score one for a sub 3K price grab it. You'll probably need to send it in for a full service, but we can talk about that when the time comes.

The Otari's are really good decks too. There used to be a bunch of them for sale cheap a few years back, but like I said before, tape has become popular again, so prices have skyrocketed.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)