View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
Troels Gravesen has interesting opinions about high efficiency speakers and how manufacturers frequently overstate the sensitivity of their speakers.

Bookshelf speakers generally sacrifice low end to get reasonable efficiency and/or power handling. Since you seem amenable to running a subwoofer, that wouldn't appear to be an issue. I have had great success with the SUPER 3i from Omega Loudspeakers. I can attest that they are a genuine 94dB and sound wonderful and much bigger than they actually are. If you were planning on putting them on speaker stands, you might be better off with the SUPER 3XRS, which offers a bit more bass extension and does not need a stand.

A lot of people have had great success with these running them with Decware Super Zen Triode amps - 2wpc triode-connected SE EL84 amps.
How were you able to verify the claimed sensitivity of the Super 3i? Possible to know this for the SAMs?

edit: found this........

Quote:
Grab a CD with a 1kHz test tone and play it. Unhook speaker from receiver and measure across the + and - terminals of one channel. Turn up volume until volt meter says 2.83 volts. Hook speaker back up and play test tone again without changing volume. See what Radio Shack SPL meter reads.
I have a multimeter and test tone files. Looks like I could get an approximation myself. My best spl meter is the old trusty Radio Shack though, so not the most accurate around.

Last edited by jdandy; 09-08-2016 at 02:27 PM. Reason: remove active links from non-sponsor seller in quote