View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgn-dt-n View Post
Hi Isaacc7,
you seem to experiment a lot with the 807.
I have no experience with it. the tube tends in sound more to a 6v6 or to a KT88.
I could buy some used RCA, but would have to get an adapter.
Do you think they are worth a try, I like a natural sound, neither an emphasis in the bass nor in the highs.

At an audio event I got a pair of Marconi 6V6G cheap. I'm looking forward to the comparison with the Fivre G and GT I have.

But the time for this is currently rare.
In theory, the 807 and 6bg6 tubes should essentially be the same as 6l6gb. The 807 can actually be driven harder but I don't think that's an issue for these amps. If you didn't want to use an adapter you could buy RCA, GE, Sylvania, etc. 6l6gb and should have basically the same sound. On the other hand, once you've bought the adapters you can try all of those different manufacturers at a lower cost since the 807 are inevitably less. That is especially true if you want to try marques like Mullard or GEC. If you want American tubes, the 6bg6 are mostly the same as the 807 but even less expensive. You can actually get 6l6gc Sylvania tubes in 6bg6ga bottles at a fraction of the price.

I have GEC (branded Cossor), Mazda, Mullard, and Fivre 807 tubes. All of them can sound great, especially those Cossor tubes. Should you try them? That depends doesn't it? I think it's safe to say they sound different than the KT88 and 6v6. On the other hand, you can get great sound from any particular tube type in these amps. I love trying different tubes and different tube combinations and so the 807 has proven to be a relatively inexpensive way to try a lot of different brands.

If you like the 6l6 sound then I think the 807 are a fairly cheap way of trying many different companies' offerings. Likewise if you just want to try some new tubes the 807 are fairly inexpensive. If you are in the states I think the 6bg6 tubes are the best deals going and are another option.