View Single Post
Old 02-11-2022, 05:22 PM

Default JBL L300 Speakers - A Masterlu Experience

I recall joining AudioAficionado (“AA”) in February 2017, after which I visited the forum frequently, reading attentively, for roughly one year before posting. Evident immediately to me was Masterlu’s (Ivan’s) enthusiasm for advising members and sourcing top-quality equipment. I remember sending a Private Message to Ivan in early 2018 inquiring about an item, which prompted a highly enjoyable phone discussion about our journeys in audio and other topics. Bonds of trust were formed, and I began allocating a portion of my audio purchases to his fine operation, Legend Audio & Video. Ivan has expertly completed many transactions with me since 2018, providing exceptional service before and after delivery in each case.

Shortly after the 2022 new year, I inquired of Ivan regarding an ambitious audio venture: purchasing a second pair of speakers for my two-channel audio system that would provide substantive contrast to the excellent sounds of my Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT’s. Compared to the Vandersteen’s, I sought a larger listening sweet spot, greater dynamic swings, and a more lively presentation from mid-bass up, possibly giving up some overall resolution, transparency, and stereo imaging which the Vandersteen’s deliver beautifully. I had been researching various products from JBL, Klipsch, Tannoy, Fyne, and PBN, and inquired of Ivan regarding his views on and ability to source JBL K2 S9900’s, which currently retail for approximately $48K to $55K depending on the cabinet finish. Ivan responded to my inquiry promptly and advised that he could source a pair of JBL K2 S9900’s, but then also asked if I had heard the JBL L300’s, which JBL has not produced since the 1980s. I had not, until earlier this week thanks to the incomparable Masterlu!

Ivan’s diligence, care, and communication throughout the purchase and delivery process was exemplary, and despite me having the speakers in my system for only a few days, I am utterly thrilled with the sounds, including how they contrast in all the ways desired from my Vandersteen’s. The speakers may be roughly 40 years old, just slightly younger than me, but they deliver an intoxicatingly refined and live sound with my equipment, listed as follows:

- Balanced Audio Technology (“BAT”) VK-76SE power amplifier
- BAT VK-255SE power amplifier (solid-state alternative to the VK-76SE)
- BAT VK-33SE preamplifier
- MOON (Simaudio) 610LP phono preamplifier
- Rega Planar 10 turntable with Apheta 3 cartridge
- Bryston BCD-3 CD player
- PS Audio DirectStream DAC
- AURALiC Aries G2 streamer
- Naim Uniti Core server
- Bryston and Torus power isolation transformers
- REL 212/SX subwoofer
- Cables by Wireworld, Shunyata Research, Nordost, Audioquest, and Morrow Audio
- Room treatments and equipment isolation by Stillpoints, Acoustic Sciences, Shunyata Research, A/V Roomservice, and Herbie’s Audio Lab
- Equipment racks and stands by Quadraspire
- AC receptacles by Oyaide

As Ivan can corroborate, the subject pair of JBL L300’s were an unopened example prior to my purchase. Ivan and I agreed that, prior to shipping the speakers from Massachusetts (Ivan’s location) to Oregon (my location), he would unbox the speakers, replace the stock binding posts with more robust Furutech’s, and test the speakers using his equipment. These proved to be very worthwhile steps, as after delivery I was able to situate the speakers, connect them to my equipment using my speaker cables of choice (Wireworld), and enjoy mesmerizing sounds within a couple of hours.

I am in no way a vintage JBL speaker aficionado, but I am ecstatic with the advice and offer by Ivan to purchase his spare set (he has another flawless example in use), which after activation in my system almost immediately made me a believer in the prowess of the designers and engineers behind the wonderful L300’s.

These speakers are just incredible.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBL L300 - Shrink Wrapped.jpg (94.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg JBL L300 - Boxed with Top Open.jpg (96.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg JBL L300 - Fully Boxed.jpg (93.1 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg JBL L300 - Loading.jpg (97.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg JBL L300 - Next to Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT.jpg (95.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg JBL L300 - With BAT Amplifiers and Vandersteen.jpg (95.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg JBL L300 - Direct View of Setup.jpg (97.7 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Masterlu; 02-11-2022 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Enlarge and embed photos.