View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDeMoney View Post
I just assume that 802D or 803D should sound better than 805D. Maybe I am wrong; would need to listen to them first. 805D certainly costs less.
There are some people who prefer a pair of 805s paired with a pair of good quality subs to any of the floor standers in the 800 series.

For me, this drove me toward the 804. There are still separate bass drivers there to relieve the mid range of also having to handle low frequencies, but the bass drivers are still of a nominal size that keeps the overall tonal balance very neutral. Better yet, the bass drivers allow an easier roll off to a good quality sub.

For those of us who appreciate that "in the chest" bass thump (like me), NOT to be confused with bloomy, tubby or boomy bass, then this is probably even better than having even an all out pair of full size 800s as the reviews I've read for the JL Audio Fathom series have been in conjunction with 800s once or twice, and the reviewer actually stated they were startled at how much more bass extension the JLs actually ADDED even to the sizable bass complement on the 800.

My choice however would be the Fathom F110, since it seems like that is easier to roll off from the small drivers on the 805 and 804, despite the Fathom's Auto EQ feature.