Thread: Unexpected Hum
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 01:55 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
What was the culprit?
As it turns out, initially it was because I didn't have the RCA interconnects from my First Sound (FS) preamp connected to the LP70S power amp. When I first heard noticed the hum/buzz originally, it was right after connecting my Michell TT/SME V arm to my EAR 324 phono stage, and the EAR back to the FS preamp (I didn't have the TT connected for a spell). Initially, I thought the buzz was coming from the TT's ground strap or phono stage, because that's where it usually comes from (usually, it's the tonearm's ground strap that has come loose). So, I started systemically unplugging the ICs, one pair at a time, to try locate the source of the buzz. Ended up with just the amp connected to the power cord and speaker cables, and it still had a buzz. It didn't occur to me at the time that I might have replaced one source of buzz with another. Doh! Called Jeff at C-J and he said to be sure the ICs are connected from the preamp to the amp, and the preamp is powered on, even if it's on mute. So, as the FS preamp is presently out of the system, today I simply connected the Lumin P1 RCA outs to the the CJ power amp, and the system was dead quiet. The CJ LP70S sounds quite wonderful with the Lumin P1 functioning as streamer, DAC, and preamp.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-29-2022 at 02:10 AM.