View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 02:15 AM
George

I have maintained my vinyl collection since I bought my first LP in 1967. I have upgraded the analog end with the rest of my system, the digital end getting more and more play during the ‘90s. Over the last ten years I have had competing digital and analog ends, I’d upgrade one... then the other would sound better, back and forth. Although less expensive by about $10K my current analog end is a bit better than my digital end... more detailed and a bigger sound stage... but both are equally satisfying to listen to... equally. I really enjoy vinyl and picking up used recorded or new audiophile vinyl once in a while. I listen to vinyl about 15% of the time. It is an enjoyable pursuit.

The pros is dollar for dollar generally better sound. A good system virtually eliminates surface noise and maximizes soundstage and musicality. This is still the way to maximum fidelity. Great fun finding special recordings that have never been released digitally. Used records cleaned with a record cleaner can usually sound perfect.

Cons: Less convenient than digital (my streamer is equal or better than all my CDs, but also less convenient than CD). probably need a cleaning machine to clean incoming disks and used finds. Turn over disk every 20 minutes. Takes up space.

It is a question of how much can you afford. If possible I would recommend something like a Linn LP12 Majik (or similarly priced VPI)... you get the table, arm, and cartridge, and it is highly upgradable if you get the urge. Then you would need a good Phonostage... i would recommend something in the $3.5k range to match the capability of the LP12. You seem to like McIntosh... so maybe their Phonostage.

There are lots of approaches that are less expensive... Rega... but if you want solid performance, something like above... or there are a number of solid brands.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 04-29-2021 at 02:31 AM.