View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 04:09 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
Tima, I am about to dig deeper into acoustic treatment of my room. Could you elaborate on the placement of the panels behind the tweeters. Aren't the sound projected forward (away from the panels) at higher frequencies? Why are they more effective there than lets say on the side walls (1:st reflection) or in the center between the speakers, dealing with the reflection coming from the wall behind the listener?
I am not questioning your findings. Just trying to understand how and why it works at the mentioned places.
Have you any info with regards to the freq range they address?
Hi - I've not seen the interior construction of an Aperture and I'm not an acoustician so I won't presume to tell you how or why they work. I did spend some time experimenting with multiple panels, I know what my ears tell me, and I can share my experience.

Based on your questions I'll suggest to look at my posts in this thread: here, here, and here. In the photo of my room you'll see Apertures (roughly) behind the speakers, between the speakers and at first reflection points on the side walls (just one of those is shown.) So in my room it was not an issue of why one spot works versus another. But if it were, my ears would tell me.

I believe one of those posts suggests a way to start out with five panels. If you can't start with five, then experiment with two (either one behind each speaker or two in the center) or three (one behind each speaker and one in the center, or one in the center and one on each side wall.) Get some idea about the front wall, then try the first reflection point on the side. From my room size and its acoustic - based on what my ears told me - I found six on the front wall and two on the sides worked well. The somewhat minimalist suggestions I covered in this thread may or may not work for other rooms, but based on Stillpoints own suggestions and my own experience, they are reasonable starting points.

Though not shown in the photo, after getting panels in the speaker area setup, I added three more spread across the back wall behind my listening seat. Those added additional clarity and helped pull the soundstage further into the room while not diminishing its depth behind the speakers. I suspect the reasons the front wall treatment is the place to start is because reflections from there reach your ears sooner than reflections coming off the wall behind your head.

To my knowledge Stillpoints has not published data on a frequency range.

If you have an Aperture dealer nearby, hopefully they can let you try several panels in your own room, or bring them to you for a demo. Because of their size, the Aperture makes for easy experimentation. I suggest removing all other acoustic treatment out of the room for those experiments.