View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVphile View Post
PS Audio announced this morning what appears to be a closeout sale of its highly regarded DirectStream DAC with the Network Bridge II installed. If my math is correct, the price will be $4,000 -- while supplies last.

On the one hand, what I have read about this DAC/streamer, especially with the new Windom software upgrade, is very impressive -- and, at this price -- is akin to a siren call, strongly inducing me to buy one. But, on the other hand, the fundamental architecture of this product is five years old -- which is a lifetime for a digital product, even one software-upgradable. This factor is a bit of a red flag waving.

And so, I feel somewhat like the horse frozen between the bucket of oats and the pile of hay -- unable to commit to one direction or the other.

To complicate matters, I am very pleased with my current DAC/streamer (a Lumin T2), which is based on dual Sabre 8028 DACs. That being said, affordable upgrades are always in the cards for me.

As a consequence, I am soliciting the thoughts of others about this dilemma.
At $4K, I believe that the DirectStream is a good deal, with or without the Bridge and since PSA offers a 30 day money back refund policy, you have nothing to loose if it doesn’t float your boat.

I alternate between my PSA DirectStream and Ayre QX-5 and find them both good sounding DACs. Each has their strengths and to my ears in my system, I would find it difficult to chose one over the other if I had to sell one of them. Just my 2 cents.