Thread: active x-overs
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2023, 07:03 AM

My experience with active crossovers is limited to the one I own (DBX Driverack Venu 360) so I would not be competent to advise anyone on a specific brand.

I just wanted to encourage you to take the plunge into active crossovers, and to the extend possible, eliminate any passive components between the amps and drivers. Going fully active may seem intimidating as far as setup and adjustments but it's actually not difficult and the results are wonderful.

In my case, I had no choice other than an active crossover because I didn't know how to build a passive crossover for a hybrid ESL (an ESL's impedance is frequency-dependent, which complicates a crossover design).

If you go fully active with a digital crossover the bass becomes much tighter and more controlled because there is no longer a passive inductor between the and amp and woofer.

And the kids & highs are also much cleaner because any phasing errors that were [almost certainly] added buy the passive components are then gone.

Any perhaps the coolest feature of all is that a DSP provides almost infinite tuning capabilities, all in real time from your listening position using an iPad or tablet interface.

Going active certainly spoiled me. I would never allow a passive crossover in my system now.