View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Results:

The rankings were pretty unanimous. In order of favorite to worst were the following:

(1) dCS Debussy
(2/3 - tie) PS Audio / MDA-1000 (These two were more evenly matched. The MDA has a better soundstage, and is very smooth. The PS Audio is pretty "easy" to listen to. It was also pretty homogenized in sound, where there wasn't a lot of variation between songs. Depending on the day, the rankings between these two could go either way)
(5) Schiit Yggy LIM. On it's own, this is a pretty good DAC. It wasn't until we compared it with the other sounds that the whole group wanted to move on pretty quickly from this sound. Bear in mind, that this could be system dependent, and I've previously heard pretty good things from the Yggy in the past
(6) Lumin T2 - Pass. As a DAC it was dull, flat, and didn't survive 5 minutes in the shootout.

To Be Continued ----as the AMR and Lampi go against the dCS!
I'm no math expert, but out of 5 DAC's you wound up with 6 places. It looks like the Yggy is #4, and the Lumin T2 is #5.

Thank you for sharing the findings of your group. I would also be interested in seeing the MSRP of the DAC's tested.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.