View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
If you are a tube-guy, suggest you stick with tubes. I moved to solid-state about 7 months ago and am not sure if I'm happy. Giving some serious thought to moving back to tubes.

I know nothing about the McIntosh C8 preamp, but have owned one and also a pair of MC275MkV and thought they were great. Like various others here, I prefer the MC275 as a stereo amp as opposed to running a pair of them in bridged mode as monoblocks. YMMV.

If I were to go McIntosh again, I would go with the C22 preamp and a single MC275 or find a pair of the MC75s, which were my favorites with my C2200 preamp.

Good luck with your search.
Hi Glenn,
Thanks very much for your post. If I were to get the new MC275MKVI, I'd definitely run it in stereo. One reason I sold my vintage tube gear is that the amps were monos. I watched some YouTube vids done by Audio Excellence of Canada, and Villip and Adrian felt that the C8 was almost as good (detailed) as the C22. I can afford either, but I sure like the looks and simplicity of the C8. I'm also gonna check around for some older models of at least the amp.

I may be able to hear the new components but not in my home.
Best,
Paul

Last edited by Paolo4223; 01-03-2023 at 11:18 PM.