View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Since I was a teenager, I have been known to remove the gas burner orifices (even on my parents' grills) and drill them out to a larger size for increased BTU output upon re-installation. I like the valve to control the low flame and the size of the orifice (that I drill) to control the maximum output. PLEASE DON'T ANYONE TELL THE FIRE MARSHAL.

I'm certain that has caused premature failure of grills I have owned but I like high heat output. The Lynx has a cast brass burner and the Capitol has cast stainless steel. Does anyone know if one is better than the other? Cast iron burners have always rusted out despite their heavy mass, not to mention that the gas holes in the burner tend to clog with rust as the burner ages and rusts, requiring light drilling to re-open them. The "flavor bars", even in stainless steel, seem to burn out after a couple of years.

I agree with those who have mentioned IR burners. They are great. A grill with equal acreage of IR and conventional burners sounds right.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 04-05-2012 at 09:38 AM.