Thread: Charles System
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
Charles,

Very impressive system! I have one suggestion that would make it better. There are much better USB cables than the AQ Diamond. I have one that my wife and I found was much better and was basically the same price. It didn’t smear the sound for a classical DSD Tchaikovsky recording like the AQ Diamond did on my system.

Dave
I really appreciate this thought. Without going into specifics, the AQ Diamond USB is solid silver and made similar to other topline AQ cables. I also use Diamond Optical cables for my MVP881 Blueray player, MR87 tuner, and my Marantz LD player. In my system there is no smear. I will include my system signature below. I use all AQ for cables, power conditioning, power cords, and IC's. I use solid silver almost exclusively.

It's the classic example of the fallacy of making the assumption that a cable that sounds better in one system will also sound better in a different system. Many reviewers use a Coffee USB. I previously used a Coffee. My cables etc., because they are all solid silver (where possible) from input to output, would sound brittle and clinical (no warmth) in many systems. However, in my system, silver sounds spectacular.

Thanks again for the interest in my system.

Best

Charles

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 06-22-2020 at 07:35 PM.