Thread: Charles System
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 11:44 AM

Carl, I have been listening to Man Machine. You are right about the mid bass. Powerful but not overdone. These recordings are audiophile grade even though 16/44. If I didn't know better I would swear they were 192/24.

I always had thought I would have to live with a 40 Hz peak in my system. It was present sub or no sub. As I mentioned for the most part it was pleasing and easy to forget. It was only on rare recording where the bass was quite excessive that the memory was aroused.

However, the peak is gone. Vanished and no dip elsewhere. This has nothing to do with the new Hammer. Rather it came from correctly phasing my system and could not be done without the Watch Controller.

It is clear that Wilson has made significant improvement to the Hammer over the course of its 9 year run. It comes from the cabinet using the latest version of X-material. The interface with the XVX is perfect to my ears and cannot be noticed. The 15" drivers are awesome to behold. This is one powerful subwoofer. It's ability to convey very soft yet extremely low frequency notes into the room is very impressive. It does this better than the old Hammer and is much quicker also. It does not lag the XVX which has lightning quick woofers.

If you don't already have it, Live In Prague with Hans Zimmer I believe you would enjoy. With my Alexx/Thor the bass was excessive. With the XVX/Thor it is much more balanced; therefore much more pleasing. However, if I had understood this phasing technique the Alexx/Thor bass peak I believe would have been eliminated also.

Summing it up, I think even if you don't enjoy the music of the Kraftwerk albums you should possess them. They are a reference as to how to record music. I enjoy their music immensely. Soon I will download Computer World.

Last edited by Charles; 06-05-2020 at 11:55 AM.