View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Hey Serge - just curious why the tears?

With Red’s latest sensors going native 17 stops without HDRx and another several stops with it, performance is now better than the best film stocks in every measurable way.
Tom
I certainly understand all the advantages of digital in terms of technical aspects, as well as ease of handling, editing, etc... But to my eyes digital cinema is not much different than what the transition was from film to digital in photography. Movies are often missing that cinematic film quality which I’m afraid we may never get back.

While I’ve enjoyed watching some 4K content of nature, in high definition and eye popping color, I’m much less impressed with every visible pore and every tiny skin defect on the actors faces... I feel its unnecessary and the lack of smoothness and over the top sharpness is often irritating to me.

I guess I’m old school when it comes to still and moving images, I prefer softer focus and smoothness, often a more traditional movie effects of shallow depth of field to sharpness and soap opera like homogeneity of image with little creativity.

It all may be a moot point anyways as computer graphics will be the bulk of created scenes anyways and I’m sure the manipulation of such advanced graphics can yield any desired effect the director wants. We are living in an ever increasing digital and virtual age with less human contact, interaction and ultimately even need for Hollywood actors. I’m sure the day will come when digitally rendered heroes will replace any and all actors. I don’t think the generations growing up on anime and VR will ever miss the human actors.

Last edited by PHC1; 09-10-2020 at 10:35 AM.