View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 12:19 PM

Dentlfly

Sure, I currently have MC 302 and would like more power. I was considering upgrading my Moon 280D and wanted to compare MC 462 and compare it to another solid state amp and compare the Moon 280D to the Moon 390. Consequently decided to compare the MC 462 to 400 Ms which are about the same price.

First up was the MC 462 and and they sounded like 'more volume' that I was looking for. Listened to a variety of songs and it met my expectations of getting a bit more volume.

Then we listened to the Moon AMP - actually the 330A - and the sound was different. I'd say like a veil was lifted. There was more detail in the busy sections without loosing congruity. My closest experience was comparing Sonus faber Sonetto Vs to Olympica Nova Vs.

The difference was noticeable and I started playing some songs to qualify the difference as good or bad for me. I played some busy songs with bass (Depeche Mode and Beastie Boys) and songs with delicacy (Steely Dan and David Bowie).

Ultimately I ordered the 400 Ms and the 390 DAC preamp. I liked the additional details I was hearing. The 462 was good and I believe the difference in sound is a result of the autoformers. I'm wondering if my tastes have evolved over time.

Last edited by mrkkas; 11-18-2021 at 08:31 PM. Reason: grammar