View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 04:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Coupling vs Decouplling: What you need to know

I found this video* on YouTube to be of quite a bit of interest today.

So, ya think those ultra-trick loudspeakers and subs with extremely stiff cabinets or cement-cabinet loudspeakers are "non-resonant"?

Think again.

http://avroomservice.com/evp-2/

Botton line: Everything has a resonant frequency, including...Mt. Everest. Or, think about what happened to the concrete and cement buildings in San Francisco in 1906 or 1989.

I've noted that the A/V RoomService's EVPs have gotten excellent reviews at The Absolute Sound, so I'll be ordering some of those. Its clear to me that Norman Varney knows what he's talking about; he thinks like a scientist and he does informed and insightful experiments.

So....I've got a music box mechansism arriving from A'zon tomorrow, and I'll doing some experiments.

I've also ordered some of the cork & rubber and Diversitech anti-vibration pads (https://amzn.to/2NNegMq). I was at a SFAS meetup on Saturday where loudspeaker guru Andrew Jones was speaking, and he was using the Diversitech pads under the ELAC Alchemy DAC. If they're good enough for Andrew Jones, they're good enough for me. I'll also be testing my Herbie's Audio Labs Tenderfeet as well that I use under my SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo network bridge, EtherREGEN Ethernet switch, Schiit Gumby, and Keces P3 power supply.

*–If you want, you can skip the first 5 minutes where the New Record Day guy explains why he didn't make a video about these sooner. It's frou-frou...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-20-2020 at 05:01 PM.