View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Hey Tom (W9TR) - perhaps this has been beaten up already - but do any of these high-end fuses go through any performance/compliance testing?
For the curious, I attach a data sheet for a Schurter ceramic fuse.

Thoughts?

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/3...il-1276004.pdf

The primary purpose of a fuse is to protect the equipment associated with it. Sound quality is also relevant but is a secondary consideration. A blown amplifier does not sound very good.

I have not seen any time vs. current curves for any of the audiophile fuses. Not have I seen any ultimate energy breaking capability ratings, which are especially of interest for the high powered amplifiers we use. Nor have I seen any evidence of UL or CSA certification.

Please correct me if any of the above information is incorrect.

Now with all that said, there are real physical reasons audiophile fuses may sound better. DC resistance, AC impedance, mechanically induced changes in fuse resistance- these are all real world differences that may impact the sound of the equipment fitted with these fuses.

I remain interested in exploring the sonic possibilities of hi fi fuses and they are on the list of power system improvements I will be making in the coming months.

I would feel much better if these fuses were as well specified as a 50 cent fuse from Bussman or Littlefuse.

Also if I could try them out at little to no cost to me, which I can usually do with cables, I would be more inclined to experiment as the cognitive bias of spent money would not be a factor.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v