View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all2ears View Post
Thanks everyone - Did the demo with the MC452 and the speakers were terrific - I also did the MC205 and was quite surprised ... it lacked some punch but by no means was disappointing - For simple listening or watching Netflix in fact it was a pleasant experience - If I do go the SabrinaX route I'll use the MC452 but if didn't have already have it the MC205 could have been something to think about

Either way these speakers need a sub .... basically nothing below 50 Hz and that wouldn't do Tony Williams or the Star Ship Enterprise justice

Having had Revel Ultima Salon 2s in my theater the last 17 years I've been accustomed to very musical bass for music and nice rumble for movies ... no sub required in my room

I'm still waiting for the dealer top get in a Wilson center channel and in the mean time the search continues
all2ears, I believe it is accurate that Revel 2's go significantly lower than SabrinaX. I believe they are the Revel flagship speaker. I have heard nothing but compliments about this speaker. The SabrinaX is the entry Wilson.

I think you will discover that SabrinaX will go significantly lower than 50 Hz but it will not match the Salon 2's. However, I believe you will discover the Wilson has hidden strengths the Salon 2 will not have.

It takes months of listening and tweaking to get the best out of the system you are proposing to buy. I place some value in a showroom demo but not very much.

I agree that for home theater you need a sub with SabrinaX. Every speaker company has a sound signature. Obviously you have heard something you like with Wilson's otherwise you would not have posted this thread.

There is a difference between the best amp and enough amp. Is the 452 enough amp? Yes it is adequate to obtain probably 90% out of SabrinaX. The best amp (without going overboard) would be a pair of Mac 611's. These retail for 15,000.00. Then using your 452 to drive the Watchdogs, I believe you would discover that a system like that would significantly surpass the Salon 2's even with a full Revel subwoofer system and amp. I believe you would run the Watchdogs using the LP crossover frequency probably 50 Hz 18 dB/octave and the SabrinaX full range. They will not overload.

If funds are a problem, use your 452 with the SabrinaX first. Get to know your Wilsons in your home, first. Then upgrade to the full system gradually as funds allow. The SabrinaX is a Wilson. Wilson does not make several lines of speakers as do almost all other companies. At this price point SabrinaX is the very best speaker Wilson can make.

Wilson has the technology to produce nearly a million dollar speaker. Much of that technology has gone into SabrinaX. Very few speaker manufacturers possess this amount of technology.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest for better sound. I believe you are on the right path with Wilson and McIntosh.

Best

Charles

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport. Wilson Audio Acoustic Diodes for XVX Chronosonic. WEL Signature digital Coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection replacing the optical connection.
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made cultured marble slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); WEL Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MVP 851 DVD player
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals for D1100; MVP 881 BR player; MCT 500 transport; MVP 851 DVD player
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house.

Last edited by Charles; 10-18-2021 at 01:10 AM.