View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 01:31 PM

I reviewed Paul Bolin's review in Stereophile 2004 of the MC501. It was a comprehensive review. I would recommend that anyone considering Mac read that review. I think the MC501 to be one of the finest power amps ever made by any company. Every once in a while a company like Mac does something magical when the whole is significantly greater than the sum of the parts. If I owned a 501 I would never part from it. It's one of the finest power amps ever made, IMO.

Now as to how it compares with a beautiful modern Mac power amp like a 462, I don't know. You have the new output transistors, better binding posts, upgraded parts. Both are quad balanced.

However the raw power of the 501 is impressive: 720 watts/1000 watts/630 watts 8/4/2 ohms continuous. The 501 is capable of driving any conceivable speaker easily. I don't know if the same can be said of a 462.

Mono amps are inherently better than stereo amps. The 501 would be in my top 10 vintage power amps ever made, maybe in the top 5. It's that special as far as I'm concerned.

Best

Charles

Charles Updated System: Wilson McIntosh Audioquest

Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII (2); McIntosh MC1.25KW (2); MC2.1KW An (1)
Preamp: C-12000 An
Sources: MCD12000 An; MVP881; MVP851; MR87; Marantz 510LV; ASUS laptop
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1); Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables; balanced IC (preamp to main amps); WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/MCD12000; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (3); Hurricane Source (1); Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines.
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals; Bassocontinuo McIntosh Ultra Feet; X-material plinth
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD)
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes