View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
What speakers Dennis and I are listening to - Part One

After some amp and tube rolling and listening to the latest 45/2A3 (a sweet sounding amp by the way) I brought in the BK-12s, hooked them up and, well, as I remembered. I recall Dennis saying something like, “they sound like a speaker in a box.” Sitting at his drawing board (also the sweet spot in the room), he starts looking around his work space. He picks up a tweeter, grabs a couple clip leads and wires in the tweeter sitting on top of one of the cabinets. A little improvement but still pretty bad. He then re-clips the leads so the two drivers are in series and locates the tweeter back some, away from the face of the cabinet. Picture this tweeter propped up on this cabinet with any old shim to keep it from rolling off and clip leads running this way and that. And the other channel matching at this point. But the sound! This thing, all of a sudden, sounds listenable, maybe even good. Its like night and day.

Well now Dennis is excited. He thinks with some listening and finesse he can get these things sounding really good. A few moments later he is pushing the buy button on a pair for himself. I offer to assemble and finish them for him so he has them sent to my house in Asheville. I then talk him into keeping mine while I am building his so that he can play around some more. We sketch up a tweeter stand and pick a better tweeter he and I are both familiar with. Now we each have our tasks to perform. Dennis has his genius with electronics and a golden ear. My previous career was as a furniture maker so the Madisound kit and a custom matching tweeter stand is in my wheelhouse. Off to my concert and Dennis to his home and a project we are both excited about.

More on this to come...
Anything ever come of this project?