View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all2ears View Post
Thanks for your input Charles - Way ... make that way way back at the beginning of the thread I mentioned the speaker switch because I was downsizing my house and giving up a dedicated home theater room ..... AARP, my cardiologist and the grand kids agree with the plan - Searching for a speaker that can sound great with a smaller foot print is the goal .... I'm just not sure a smaller speaker and then adding a sub woofer meets those guidelines ... dual Mono amps (a personal favorite in my younger days) is definitely a stretch

I do believe you have to live with a speaker in your day to day life to really appreciate it - Years back I had the Wilson Watt Puppy for a week audition and enjoyed them a lot but lack of a coherent center channel at the time left them coming up short ... I'm hoping this time around their new center will seal the deal .... the sub is a drawback I think I can over come if I can talk the wife into giving the China Cabinet floor space
all2ears, thanks for the reminder. Many folks recommend stereo subs. I don't dispute or argue this point. However, currently I am having a plinth of X material constructed by Wilson for my Thor. My Thor will set horizontally equidistant between my XVX and in the same plane. The plinth will be supported by the new acoustic diodes with either V material or rubber for cushions. I run the system LP only, no HP, crossover 30 Hz 18 dB octave. I want to get my Thor off the floor. Currently it is setting on the floor supported by rubber mats.

Personally, I would rather have this arrangement than stereo subs, but that's just me. My point is that with a Watchdog, you may obtain superb results with a mono sub.

I have found that everything makes a difference with a sub system. You can hear cables, amps, IC's, power cords, i.e., "everything". A single mono Watchdog with SabrinaX would be a dream system for almost anybody. Use your 452 with SabrinaX and a 611 for your Watchdog. I can almost guarantee that you will be extremely satisfied. Never use a HP with Wilsons if you are using their subs.

You could save substantial money by forgoing a center channel and placing a Watchdog in its place. I am more than satisfied with watching a movie or a music video absent a center channel. I wouldn't dream of moving my Thor for a center channel.

Again best of luck. I hope I have given you food for thought. I will post a pic(s) of my new plinth when it arrives. You can see pics of my current system under "Charles System" in the Member System Forum or the McIntosh "Show us your System". I couldn't be more satisfied with the results I get for watching a movie or DVD music video. I have lots of them, watch them frequently.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-18-2021 at 11:06 AM.