View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 05:49 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Mid-bass subwoofer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1010boy View Post
@crwilli I’d be interested on some data on the importance of location. Can you point me to some? Thanks.

I think with a little energy spent, you will find many articles on setting up subwoofers. It is well understood that low frequencies (generally accepted to be 80Hz and below) are difficult to locate in the typical audio room. Above 80Hz and our brains can ‘locate’ the source of the sound.

So if the goal is to integrate your subs with your mains, you do not want your brain to ‘see’ low bass coming from a point which is away from your mains. Worst case as an example; if you use a 130Hz crossover point and place your sub behind your listening position, your brain will ‘see’ the kick drum / bass guitar etc. behind you. That would totally screw up your soundstage.

That is why myself and others have said using 130Hz for your crossover is too high.

It has nothing to do with whether a driver of any size is capable of reproducing 130hz with low distortion.

I come back to my first suggestion.

Work extra hard to find the location in your room where your Venere S produce the absolute best bass they can. Then integrate your Fathom. Chances are you can use a crossover point that is significantly peer than 130Hz.

As others have said, having your room measured and finding out the opportunities to improve your listening position as well as the position of your Venere S. You may be seating in a poor position for bass.

I know of one expert in Room Setup who starts with finding the best listening position in a room for bass before he does anything else.

Good luck

Here’s ONE place for sub setup. Barry Ober worked at JL Audio. Google ‘sound doctor’.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 10-15-2021 at 08:27 PM.