Thread: Elekit Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 12:06 PM
Retired

Default Elekit Anyone?

Any other DIYers here?
I've been listening to an Elekit TU-8500 tube preamp since January. Pair of tubes (1-per channel) for the preamp function and opamps for the phono - preamp section.
The NA importer is https://www.vkmusic.ca/ (Victor Kung) and he sells direct as well distributing thru various other mail-order websites. Victor offers several upgrades, including resistors, caps & opamps. I ordered mine with the best of everything and it was <$700, delivered.
For tubes I rolled in a pair of JAN Philips, which were a significant upgrade from the Chinese tubes it came with. Then I rolled in a pair of Gold Lions and even better.
From the get-go there was some noise (hiss/hum) between tracks on the high-gain MC portion of the phono stage with the upgraded 2227 opamps. However, after a couple of hundred hours of break-in I must place my ear within an inch of the speaker driver to hear anything between tracks. Not sure if it was the tubes, opamps or caps needed time to 'clean up'.
Still have another set of recommended opamps to drop into the phono section, but am quite pleased with the 2227s for the moment.
The biggest drawback to the TU-8500 (for me) is the lack of a remote. However, a friend just installed an electronic (no motor) volume control/remote in his Pass Pearl preamp and is very pleased with the result. Once this virus thing has run its course will install the same in my Elekit.
Also, will be adding Sparkos Labs VRegulators (about the cost of nice pair of NOS tubes) and Lundahl SUTs for the MC section of the phono-stage. Will be turning my sub-$700 preamp into a $1500 preamp.
Thus far am very pleased with the TU-8500. Very quiet and especially like the small size. Good things do come in small packages.
Am also thinking a Sun Valley (part of the Toyota koretsu) SV-EQ1616D tube phono-stage.
More later.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elekit6.jpg (62.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Elekit5.jpg (95.9 KB, 172 views)
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 04-18-2020 at 09:23 PM.