View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 07:07 PM

I'll have to see if I can find it. I have a nice article stashed somewhere about the considerations of tonearm mass and cartridge compliance.

There is some information on the Ortofon site;

Low mass arms* mate well with both moderately high and very high compliance phono cartridges.
*A tonearm whose effective mass is rated at 10 grams or below is considered low mass (e.g. early SME’s, Grace 747, Ortofon AS-309S, RS-309D, TA-110 and TA-210).

Moderate mass tonearms** are good companions for moderate to low compliance cartridges.
**A tonearm whose effective mass is rated between 11 and 25 grams is considered moderate mass (e.g. SME 309, IV, IV-VI, V, Triplanar, Graham). Arms above 25 grams of mass are high mass in nature (Eminent Technology, Dynavector).

If a low compliance cartridge is used with a low mass tonearm, undesirable resonances can occur in the audible range. Mistracking may also be a problem.

When a high compliance cartridge is mated with a moderate mass tonearm, resonances in the infrasonic range may occur in addition to some unwanted high frequency damping.

Here is a link; https://www.ortofon.com/support/supp...ance-frequency