View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 06:12 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2 View Post
This was a great share. The last few years I’ve learned a lot about cart output to stage gain/overload matching but I still don’t fully get the mass/compliance compatibility. Does everyone agree with this statement from the article about my arm?

The 10cc’s higher effective tonearm mass of 8.5g requires a lower compliance cartridge to put the pair in the resonant frequency sweet spot. Think of the suspension system of a car. A compromise must be found between the smoothness of the ride and the driver’s ability to feel the road. A heavier car (arm) necessitates stiffer suspension (lower cartridge compliance) whilst a lighter car can play it a little looser (with higher compliance).
With all due respect to John Darko, whom I really like, his comments regarding automobile suspensions are inaccurate. The key factor for an automobile suspension's ability for "feeling the road" is unsprung mass (which then directly influences spring rate and spring preload, compression and rebound damping), not vehicle weight.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-12-2019 at 06:18 PM.