View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiliberti View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I'm beginning to think I may not be a tube amp guy, because the Classic 60s (both) were definitely not 'punchy' enough for me, even though they both had a wonderful sound stage. The ET250S definitely sounded like a powerful amp, which it is, even though it lacks the dimensionality of the valve amps. If the LP70s sounds a lot like the Classic 60 SE, which I think it might, it may not be right for me. However, it's a pretty big jump in price to the ET250s from the Classics. I think the LPS70 is also cheaper on the used market than the ET-250, or at least more abundant. I think I need to audition an LPS70 against an ET250S to make up my mind. In advance, I know its a somewhat apples to oranges comparison.
Bgiliberti,

The amplifier you may want is actually two... the LP140 mono blocks. More power, impact and with all the dimensionality all in one package(s).

Good luck...
Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer