View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 12:27 AM

Thumbs up

Finally got them up and going. Please excuse the wires and cables! I will hide those etc..after I get optimal placement.

I only have about 40 hours so far...they say at least 72 hours to break in the woofers. And that long before critical listening. Ok right!

Coming from GoldenEar Triton 1's I had a lot of bass. Not always accurate maybe but a big big sound with low LFE. These ESL 13's are not that kind of speaker.

The first day I thought I made a mistake. But the more I listened the more I have grown to truly enjoy them and are hearing details that I missed before.

The bass issue is a big issue but I also believe it's my room. The reviews go on and on about the tight bass. So I know after break in I will get the ARC software and see what happens.

There was a moment that I actually considered returning these. BUT; I also had a revelation yesterday evening while jamming while unpacking. (i just moved). I've always had my sofa and/or seats against the wall. Just the way its worked out over the years. Never really had the room. As you guys know thats kind of an Audio NO NO but you do what you gotta do. Anyway I was walking behind the chair you'll see in my pics. Thats the sweet spot BTW. I have another chair just like it on the way.

Anyway the bass was much stronger and full. And there it was; I was close to the wall. My guess is If had the Tritons in this room and was about 6 feet from the wall at my chair I would have had less bass.

So I just need to figure out how to get the room acoustics right and get a little more bass output at my seating position. Where I have the ML's and the audio is the only spot. I also have experienced having them pulled out about 2-3 feet and settled on the 15 inches or so from the wall. Seems to be the best compromise for now.

BUT the positives are: Huge soundstage; They are delicate but at the same time can play louder and LARGE more than I thought they could. These are not my dads Quads from the 1974. There's not that exaggerated treble or forward character I felt the Tritons had. Granted the T1's were and ARE wonderful. But for me at times they came across harsh. These 13a's are not lacking in detail-actually I'm hearing things I missed. But they are not in your face.

This was a longer review than I intended

But if anyone here has some ideas or tweaks for me re: Bass, please pass on. Magnolia in Dallas is where I purchased them. One of their guys may come out but that will be a cost to me since I am in North Louisiana. And to be frank, those guys while super nice don't give me a great sense of confidence.

Oh one more thing. I experimented with 4ohm and 8 ohms and honestly can't really tell the difference.

Thanks for all the support in this thread.

Other gear: McIntosh MC452....C2600....VPI Classic Signature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6436.jpg (95.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6432.jpg (91.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6435.jpg (93.3 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6434.jpg (93.1 KB, 263 views)