View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
I find the MCT equal to my Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 AES/EBU, I hear no difference on my system. Even so, I use the AES/EBU input for redbook and the MCT input for SACD.
brownbear, this is exactly what I do also. I listened to the Paul Simon and Friends DVD last night using the new WEL coaxial cable. What a difference from optical. When I was making all my upgrades (it seems as though I've been upgrading for years, it never stops), I confess that I called Mac and asked about the optical vs coaxial connection. Huge mistake. Mac's stock answer (at least to me) is always "both sound the same" for literally any piece of gear. So the AQ Diamond optical was $900 and the WEL coaxial over 4,000.00. Easy choice and it was for movies and live performances anyway.

When my MCD1100 was sold and I was waiting on my MCT 500, I noticed a distinct brightness to the overall sonic tapestry. Also the bass was thinner. The sound simply did not have the richness I was used to. It was not really objectionable, just distinctly different.

So I bit the bullet and ordered the WEL Signature coaxial cable. Last night I had the XVX really cranked up to volume 81. Of course it was quite loud with the Thor frequently hitting 120 watts and also the XVX. But it was like sitting on the second row of seats in the real auditorium. It never hurt your ears or got shouty in any way. Very enjoyable. No way I could have done that with the optical connection. Mac has done an excellent job with the coaxial connection but it will take a WW Platinium or AQ WEL. Cable quality does matter.

Best

Charles

p.s. my opinion is that sonically Mac is sonically competitive with almost anything on the market but much less expensive. This is because once they decide on a technology (like switching or volume control) they don't change it so they can justify additional charge. I think many manufacturers do this to make a profit. Thus, you can spend the money saved on cables, cords, conditioners, racks, etc. This gear does make a huge difference in sonics. I have recognized this unique property about Mac and utilized it to build my system around it. No way I could have bought an XVX if I'd had 200,000.00 in source gear, amps, and pre.

Last edited by Charles; 07-30-2021 at 11:02 AM.