View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 10:13 PM

Not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, but since the one-level-below-Alpha Delta power cord has undergone a similar-VTX Ag technology v1 to v2 upgrade simultaneously with the Alphas and Sigmas, I thought I'd share this for-what-it's-worth impression of the bass performance difference I hear--and feel--with the new Delta XC replacing the Delta NR v1 as the wall-to-Delta D6 power distributor feed. Note that my standmounted bedroom-system speakers begin to wimp out at around 45 Hz, and their response nosedives below that, so that's a factor you may want to keep in mind.

As I noted in my full-bore assessment of the Delta XC in another thread, the XC imparts greater foundational heft to the musical presentation than experienced with the NR v1. That's true with the most demanding sources I have at hand, including concert-hall organ (the Munch/Zamkochian collaboration in the Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony [RCA SACD rip]) and film-music tracks such as the "Garage Chase" in the Shawn Murphy-engineered James Horner score for "The Pelican Brief" [Big Screen Records CD rip].

In such instances, bass passages go deep, are felt as much as heard, and are not infrequently sustained for long periods, placing great demands on current delivery both long-term and, in the "Pelican" case, instantaneously, as Horner "shocks" with transient bursts that (no pun intended) underscore sudden sharp (frequently violent) turns in the screen action. At such points I don't detect any loss of attack, impact, sustain, or decay (or throbbing, roll-up-my-listening-room-floor reverb) with the Delta XC in place of the NR v1. The XC (v2) incarnation is superior in that regard and exhibits better definition in the process.

As I say, this isn't apples-to-apples, and since individual systems differ so widely, I don't offer it as prescriptive, but simply as a FWIW perspective.

Bedroom:
Aurender N150-->Bryston BDA-3-->EMIA Elmaformer Cu passive line stage-->conrad-johnson MF2500-->Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
Wireworld Eclipse IC and SC
Shunyata Delta D6, Alpha XC, Delta NR v.2, Alpha USB; Altaira CG Hub
Stillpoints Aperture II; Ultra SS; Ultra Mini
GIK Monster; 242
Butcher Block Acoustics Maple Platforms