View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 10:46 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Originally posted in November 2019:

Shunyata OMEGA QR Power cord (15-amp) recent listening impressions:

I had the good fortune about 2 weeks ago to be given a chance to spend 5 days with an new Shunyat OMEGA QR power cord.

The fit, finish and build quality (including a new SOTA wire-type internally) are truly world-class and eclipse even
the best from Shunyata thus far which is no easy task. The bespoke connectors, use of high grade carbon, flexibility
of the cable are all on a brand new level of excellence! I’m told these improvements will be studied for their application
to future cables as well. The aesthetic is to my eyes, beautiful to look at as well.

In short, the impact of using this cord is truly, no b.s., no exaggeration was mind-blowing to me….this cord is tailor made
for any amplifier, even digital (ICEpower2, etc…) with more modest current draw requirements but easily will maximize
the performance ff any amplifier, Tube, Solid State or Digital (IMHO). It certainly did that here with respect to all the
various amp connects to the wall in my setup that I tried.

I don’t know the topology or the innards of this cable except what has been circulated online thus far. To my listening
tests from the first hour forward out of the box, every single aspects of playback anywhere I plugged it in improved.

As a kicker, I also tried it on the LPSU for my Wavelet Active Crossover & RoomEQ and then on my DAC as well
and heard similar advances.

In every single case, particular and more striking differences for any amplifier and the LPSU for Wavelet, I heard;

- dramatic increase in sound stage definition and size in 3-dimensions

- rock-solid and dramatic increase in imaging performance top to bottom (floor to ceiling) and left to right

- deepening of the sound stage even further behind the walls and out into the room

- better performance and pacing of all playback, more immediacy and realism in the presentation of the most subtle to the most demanding dynamics in all sorts of music

- improved tonal correctness and ‘color of sound’ (hearing the different materials for drum heads, stick and mallet types, brushes, bows, etc….gold/silver/brass/no finish on trumpet, sax, etc…guitar, piano, violin and bass (double and electric) all rendered in an utterly real and transparent/correct way

- immediacy and pacing of the music; ultra-correct and realistic

- tightness and correctness of the image and improved ability to locate instruments, voices, etc….both individually and in ensemble and have them be what seems to see to be a more correct sizing

Frankly, I expected improvement, bigger in some areas than in othheers but what I heard amazed me as this cord pushed so many areas up on the
scale of playback quality simply through attaching it to one device at a time that I was and still am, shocked by what I heard.

From a ‘power conditioner’ point of view, this has just the right amount of QR/BB for noise elimination the right amount of
current flow and increased dynamic ability for current draw and whatever else amps and LPSUs need to sound their absolute
best.

In short, the most amazing single power cord + conditioning all in one cable for current-draw needs for amps of all kinds
(Even digital amps embedded in active speakers by the way) and LPSUs driving other core components. The effects and sound
quality improvements are not subtle and you won’t have to wait to hear them. The only way to equal it or better would be to be
fortunate enough to have individual TYPHON QRs for each amplifier you have and go 1:1 as is the case with a good friend
here who has 3 TYPHON QRs believe it or not (1 to drive his TRITON V3 and 1 each for his mono blocks)
and is very fortunate and flying in very rarefied airspace as it were !!!

Obvious questions answered:

Going forward at least until Caelin beats the combination, the TRITON V3 and TYPHON QR for transport, DAC, master clock
and pre-amp/processors to me is still the bar for top performance for non-amplifier and non-LPSU devices The OMEGA is excellent
when powering these devices however to my ears I will keep front-end devices plugged into the TRITON V3 and TYPHON QR.

For amplifiers of all types and LPSUs, the OMEGA QR is the cable to beat at its price point and much higher one for direct-to-wall connections.

I will be watching for the cascade of lessons learned in perfecting this OMEGA QR power cord to be brought to
future releases of other cords at more moderate price points rumored to be in the brainstorming process.

One word not the price of the OMEGA QR: yes, it a new price range for Shunyata for a pc; having heard many others at equal
and even higher price points, all of those vendors should be quite worried about what Caelin and team have packed into this
OMEGA QR and the Uber-musical results at a high, but responsible price.

Caelin and the team at Shunyata are ‘on a roll’ doing what I would say and I have heard in musical result is the best work of their careers!

I am grateful I had the opportunity to demo this cord for a few days. It was truly painful to put it in the box and ship
it off to the next destination!!!
A great write-up, Mark. I have not heard the Omega QR on amps, but I had the Omega XC in for a spell for some photography, and first used it with my Everest, and it is an absolutely amazing cable for power distributors. Hearing what the Shunyata QR/BB device does in Everest, I can only imagine the benefits it brings to the Omega QR PC. The QR technology is really a fundamental breaktrhough, in my experience. The Omega XC used on the Everest gave the sense of complete effortlessness and dynamic power when using it in that application. And that immediacy as you, say. A beast of a cable, but amazing as well.

It also looks very cool with the silver carbon fiber plug....

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-01-2021 at 10:57 AM.