View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 PM

Default What Classical Music Are You Listening To Tonight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
I enjoy Classical, however, do not listen to it all that much and honestly can’t tell myself why but when I do its mostly string.

I stumbled onto this and when it came up, I just stopped, sat down, listened and relaxed, the piano was mesmerizing for me.

I don’t know anything about Fazil Say, but do find his interpretation of Chopin simply amazing.

Any other recommendations, I am all “ears”.

Welcome to the classical thread. Chopin’s Nocturnes are certainly a great entrée to the world of classical piano, and among my very favorite pieces of music. You might look for recordings of the Nocturnes by Nelson Freire on Decca, Claudio Arrau on Philips, and Maurizio Pollini on Deutsche Grammophon.

Also try Chopin’s Preludes (excellent modern recordings by Ingrid Fliter on Linn and Alexandre Tharaud on Harmonia Mundi) and the Etudes (good recordings from Jan Lisiecki and Maurizio Pollini on DG, and Nelson Freire on Decca).

Lastly, in a similar vein, the Irish composer John Field, although not as widely recognized as Chopin, more or less invented the nocturne. There is a good recent recording on Decca by Elizabeth Joy Roe, but for my money the definitive recording is by the Irish pianist John O’Conor on Telarc.

Enjoy the travels.

By the way, I love your location “Spanish Castle Magic.”
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2