Thread: Focal Maestro
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
Looking at replacing my Sopra 2 speakers, which i've enjoyed for a few years.
Im very happy with the speakers, but want to move to the next level.

Second hand Maestros are looking very tempting, so if you have any experience big or small, with the Maestros please let me know.
Comparisons from other Focal models like Sopras/Scala/Stella or similiar speakers, placement experience etc.

I am unable to find a dealer to listen to the speakers locally, so would travel to another country.

Room is 4x15 meters, semi-treated and setup is luxman c/m900 and a lumin streamer. Have no plans to replace that atm.

Thanks.
It's not clear to me if you're referencing used Maestro Utopia III or used Maestro EVO. In either case, you're moving to speakers without any material compromises in performance. The Sopra line isn't even in the discussion in respect of these speakers.

I own the Maestro Utopia III, moved up from a Scala Utopia III - they're not in the same league, but I have heard that the Scala EVO is much improved.

If you're looking at the Maestro Utopia III (not EVO), you better have a monster amp that doubles down into two ohms or it's going to sound lethargic - I'm not familiar with your Luxman, but it seems to be sufficient based on specs. The Maestro EVO from measurements appears to be easier to drive as they moved back to a three way design and based on Focal presentations, has improvements in the midrange and bass (I don't hear anything lacking in my speakers in that or any other regard so wasn't interested even though I had a trade in option and in any case, prefer the 3.5 way design of my current speakers).

Also, if you want to hear the Maestro Utopia III at its best (which means setting the treble jumper on high), you better have a system with uncompromised treble performance. If not, you'll hear it.