Thread: Cable break-in
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 02:39 PM

I like the keeping track... The only thing I keep track of is for the turntable cartridges, using golf clickers to track hours of use for them with one click per side..(at least is is a reasonable estimate for hours)

Some cables seem to need more time that others to break in. And some sound terrible at first... But get to be acceptable within a few hours (though not even half broken in).
My worst sounding when installed was a seven meter Kimber Hero (way back in 2010) It sounded terrible, and I was going to return it. But by the second day it was much better. And over the years I used it sound very good (to me at the time, but not in comparison to the replacement a 7m KS1116)

The oddest break in IMO was Furutech GTX=D NCF Rhodium Duplex receptacles. Tilted to treble sound, then normal for a day, back to tilted, for well over a month.

And finally even moving cables around, the sound goes wrong, for a day anyway.. I just moved everything around in the main rack, so all the cables were disconnected twisted pulled around, re-bent, , and put back different. Turned on and WTF sound dull. A few hours and better.. Next day back to normal.
I could see getting a cable cooker. But I kind of like hearing how the IC. PC and such change with use.