Thread: Studer B77 MKII
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Miles, Dan... I'm liking the 1520 more as it is still well supported. J-Corder has some pretty cool refurb packages too which may sway me that way.
There are a couple of different paths you can take with the Technics. One decision you'll have to make is whether you want to use the deck for record and PB or just PB. If just PB, sooner or later, the stock Technics electronics will get in the way of the sound of the deck.

I bought my Technics 1500 from Jeff Jacobs and then sent it to Dan Schmalle at the Tape Project where he customized the tape path, got rid of the captive AC cord, hard wired it from the heads thus bypassing the stock electronics and a few other things. Then for a while ran the heads straight out to a BH Tube Repro (with V-caps). Then I switched to the King/Cello tape preamp (based on the Cello phono section with Mundorf--and awaiting Dueland--caps) that was quieter, greater resolution and much better extended highs and lows. Finally, I swapped tape heads and put in Pro Nortronics heads that was also a sizable improvement particularly in the low end linearity, ambience retrieval and overall noise floor. Gone was that "fuzzy" bass characteristic of many Japanese heads. We measured the upper octave response to over 22K when aligning the heads at +1.5/-1 dB.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.